Why New Methods are Needed
- Experiences have always been the point of differentiation and problems--whether you design for them or not.
- User-centered Design is more than mere Usability
- Computers and related devices are more sophisticated
- Computers and related devices are more social
- Computers and related devices need to be more human
- Personas and Scenarios (as traditionally practiced) aren't doing the job
- Designers need to better understand people's emotions, desires, dreams, and relations to others
People default to behaviors and expectations of computers in ways consistent with human-to-human contact and relationships [Nass and Reeves].